Episode 42 Documenting The Hunt With Steven Drake
Steven Drake is a photographer and videographer who makes his living working with brands and personalities in the hunting world. His career has brought him all over the world and through pretty much every situation you can imagine. When I started following Steve's work, it became very apparent that he is no stranger to pushing himself to that next level and somehow finding a way to document it while doing so.
I wanted to bring Steve on to talk about his journey with not only his career as a photographer, but also as a backpacker and hunter. Sometimes I can't believe that I'm lucky enough to talk with people like Steven Drake and learn as much as possible from them in the short amount of time I have them on the phone.
If you own a camera, enjoy pushing yourself in the backcountry, and want to know how to pair those things together in a way that makes sense, this episode is for you.
THANKS FOR LISTENING!!
Taking the time to listen to this podcast is greatly appreciated! If you have questions or comments, feel free to reach me at email@example.com or leave a comment below. I'd love to hear from you.
HELP THE SHOW
If you enjoyed this show and want to help me out, please leave me an honest review on iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts from. Doing so will help my podcast reach others and grow more and more. I can't do it without you!
Lifestyle Shop - http://byland.co/shop/
Comic Book - http://byland.co/comic-book/
- The background on Steven Drake and how he came to do what he now does
- Steve’s intro into backpacking while working with Mystery Ranch
- Steve’s experience with a smattering of backpacking cultures - mountaineers to hunters
- The transition into professional photography
- What it’s like being responsible for portraying the culture of hunting
- Steve’s advice for us amature photographer/videographers traveling the backcountry expecting to get incredible images.
- Steve’s learning curve to capturing images as a professional
- Tempering photography and video expectations
- Planning imagery themes before you head out
- Documenting the BC Goat hunt
- Calorie management in harsh winter conditions
- What happens to your body when you’re calorie deficient
- Steve’s advice to new backpackers
- Bucket list dreams
- How to reach Steven Drake
- Bonus round - Steve’s moving to IG TV!