John Z knows how to hike, but he also knows how to do it the right way without risking injury to himself. On this episode of The By Land Podcast, hiker John Z joins me to talk about how he manages to hike 50 miles per day and how he's come to live a minimalist life. John is also one of the creators of Pa'lente Packs, a pack company that is intentional about being minimal and functional.
I asked John on the podcast because he has a method of hiking that allows him to cover crazy distances in a day and I wanted to know how he does it. Additionally, I wanted to learn from John how he's been able to reduce his pack weight to 8 lbs.. We talk about this and so much more.
If you're looking to get better at streamlining your process, reducing pack bulk, and want to know the proper techniques to moving down a trail, you're not going to want to miss this episode. John is a great dude, super chill, and just loves what he does.
THANKS FOR LISTENING!!
Taking the time to listen to this podcast is greatly appreciated! If you have questions or comments, feel free to reach me at email@example.com or leave a comment below. I'd love to hear from you.
Also, if you have a topics you'd like covered, email me and I'll look into making it happen!
HELP THE SHOW
If you enjoyed this show and want to help me out, please leave me an honest review on iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts from. Doing so will help my podcast reach others and grow more and more. I can't do it without you!
Lifestyle Shop - http://byland.co/shop/
Patreon - http://byland.co/patreon/
- John’s background and how he built up to hiking 50 miles in a single day
- Proper hiking technique for reducing impact on the body
- The impact of pack weight on the body
- The choices of gear - bringing what you need depending on the trip
- Adapting to trail conditions and scenarios
- John’s food plan and being aware of your body
- How to be minimal - making do with what you have
- Why John continues to hike and explore the backcountry
- Johns new pack company - behind the design
- Who’s John’s pack is designed for
- How John decided not to use a waist belt for a pack
- “Packing your fears”
- John’s advice to new backpackers
- Finding John online
- What’s next for John and the pack company
- John’s camera choice
- John and Emory BS session…